Tuesday



Since joining the skills exchange in the autumn, I have already been privileged to meet lots of lovely people who have been willing to trust me with their valuable computers/plumbing/paintings/trees...
It's a great pleasure to be able to help someone with a task that they don't have the equipment, skills or confidence to tackle themselves.

However, I've been under a bit of pressure recently to 'spend' some of the gems that I have earned, and I have been accused of hoarding them a bit. It's surprising how attached one can become to a handful of tiddly-winks in an old juice carton!

So when I saw Michael's offer of sushi, it was too tempting to pass over.
My partner Katie and I have been fans of Japanese food for years. She lived in Osaka for a while, and I have probably eaten my own weight in Yakisoba.
After a busy morning dashing around Ikea loading up our trolley with the many component parts of Snott and Drybble (or something similar), It was brilliant to be able to collect a box full of delicious fresh vegetarian sushi, which we ate with a bowl of miso soup for a relaxing, restorative lunch.
Even our 11 year old daughter tried a piece and declared it "sick", which is, I understand, an unlikely term to indicate great appreciation. High praise indeed from a child who has recently decided that carrots are too exotic and who will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid any contact with them. Well done Michael.

Now I've broken my duck, I'm really getting into the swing of cashless consumerism...
..I've been having some problems with my back over the last few weeks, and consequently our garden has been a bit neglected. This morning, David H came over and spent the morning raking leaves. He's a real dynamo, and in a couple of hours, had filled our green bin and half a dozen large bags full of leaves and other detritus. The garden looks great, and all I did was potter around watching him work (there's a risk that I could get used to this, and never do any work ever again). Big thanks to David.

I didn't get a photo of David at work (I don't think he stopped moving for long enough), but while he was working, I hung up a piece of ice and called it a sculpture (see attachment: I wouldn't have dared to publish a picture of the garden before David arrived had done his stuff).
Is it art, or just a way for an idle man to while away the hours as someone else labours on his behalf? I don't really know, but I'm delighted with the garden now, and can't wait until spring, when I intend to spend more gems to get other people to do the jobs that I keep putting off.

Many thanks. Simon

No comments: