Saturday

Making of a great community.

Yesterday after having been with my friends in the Shared Garden, I heard how Simon 'rescued' part of Crosby road from flooding, it reminded me that my drainage was not that good so I was going to get in touch with this popular plumber to see if I could borrow his drainage rods too.

The afternoon, I walked to the allotment to get some vegetables for Magda, on the way back, believe it or not, I bumped into Simon and his helper who were doing their day job for one of my neigbours. I stopped to ask him if I could borrow the rods at some point and if he would like to have some fresh vegetables. As it happened the beetroots I was holding were his favourite vegetables so today I put another basket together for him and his family to enjoy over the weekend. He introduced he new helper, the teenage son of one of our members who needed a job in the building/plumbing trade. Simon met him, when he was doing a skills exchange job at Tessa's.

So eventhough the Skills Exchange is a low maintenance and simple way of getting to know eachother's strengths and tapping into that energy, this time the network lead to a proper job too, giving a young man experience and guidance from an amazing Skills Exchange member (who has probably seen most of the loos, kitchens and showers in our group!)

Whilst all this was happening, Jonathan was picking pears for pressing. Great timing as soon after the 2 litres were pressed, the door bell rang and a stream of various members came in to drop off jam jars, pick up vegetables, or drop off their Abundance jams. We shared some time tasting the delicous freshly pressed juice. A true hive of activity. Very sociable, productive and uplifting. Thank you to all of you who are part of the Skills Exchange and who are making this life so colourful, meaningful and happy!

Karina

No comments: